How to Enter this Contest
Read the Official Rules: Before entering, you need to read and understand the Official Rules and understand how the Contest works. By entering the Contest, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules.
Prepare the Film: As part of the entry process, you will be required to submit a Vimeo.com link to a five to 30-minute short film (the “Film”) on the submission page of the UCFTI Expo website, along with a high resolution still image of the film. The uploaded film must have a minimum resolution of 720p and the still image must be 1MB or larger. If the Vimeo link is private, you must also provide password for access. All entries submitted must be in English, subtitled in English, or dubbed in English. Works-in-progress should not be entered as they may not be altered during the competition once initial judging has occurred and will be disqualified from submission into subsequent UCFTI Student Film Awards competitions.
Each contestant agrees, represents and warrants that:
- ELIGIBILITY: To enter the contest, you must, at time of entry, be a student at USC School of Cinematic Arts, UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television, NYU Tisch School of the Arts, Chapman University, California Institute of the Arts, American Film Institute Conservatory, or a recent graduate (less than 2 years prior). If submitting as a graduate, you must have been a student when the film was completed. Films submitted previously for the UCFTI Competition are not eligible for re-entry. Films must have a completion date of Jan 1, 2015 or later.
- CONTEST PERIOD / ENTRY PERIOD / DEADLINES: The UCFTI Film Competition (the “Contest”) begins at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) on May 1, 2017 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on October 20, 2017 (the “Contest Period”). The entry period for the Contest (“Entry Period”) begins at 11:00 a.m. PT on May 1, 2017 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on September 1, 2017.
- The use of the Film submitted in the Contest is authorized in writing by all persons having rights with respect to such Film, and their use in this Contest will not violate the rights of any third parties;
- He/she is in full compliance with all of the requirements and provisions of the Official Rules, in particular those set forth in Section 3 of the Official Rules.
- Advertising films, promotional films, and films made as works for hire are not eligible
- He/she has read and agreed to the Official Rules prior to entering the Contest.
- The UCFTI Awards Committee is not responsible for late, misdirected, missing, or damaged entries.
- TO ENTER:
- During the Entry Period return to the Website and fill out the official online entry form (“Entry Form”) in its entirety. Then, submit your Entry Form along with a direct link to your Film in accordance with the on-screen directions during the Entry Period.
- Your “Entry” consists of: 1) the completed online Entry Form; 2) a direct link to your Film; and 3) your confirmation that you have read and agreed to the Official Rules, all submitted or otherwise accomplished within the Entry Period.
- A “contestant” is defined as the person who completes the online Entry Form and submits the Entry. Anyone contributing to the Film who has not submitted an Entry Form will not be deemed a contestant and is not eligible to win any prize. Pen names or pseudonyms are NOT permitted. Contestants must enter using their legal name.
- There is a limit of one Entry per person and per email address and per Film during the Entry Period. In the event more than one person attempts to submit an Entry containing a Film that is the same or substantially similar to a Film previously submitted, or an Entry is submitted more than once by the same person, then only the first Entry submitted will be eligible and any additional submissions associated with the same Film will be disqualified.
- GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR CONTEST ENTRIES: Sponsor may disqualify any contestant who provides false or misleading information in connection with the Contest. Only complete Entries will be accepted. An Entry that is incomplete or does not comply with these Official Rules may be disqualified. Neither Sponsor nor Contest Administrator will verify or acknowledge receipt of Entries. Entries can only be submitted and accepted via the online entry process and in accordance with the procedures set forth in these Official Rules. Neither Sponsor nor Contest Administrator will accept Entries submitted in any other manner. Any use of automated, robotic, macro, programmed or similar quick-entry programs is prohibited.
- JUDGING FOR SEMI-FINALISTS: During a period from August 2017 through October 2017, a panel of judges selected by UCFTI in its sole discretion (the “Semi-Finalist Judges”) will judge each eligible Film submitted in accordance with the Official Rules during the Entry Period. In the event of a tie, a Semi-Finalist will be determined by the Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion. The odds of being declared a Semi-Finalist depend on the quality of the eligible Films submitted and the number of eligible Entries submitted. The entries will be judged on the basis of originality, entertainment, artistic and production quality, without regard to cost of production or subject matter. The decisions of the Semi-Finalist Judges relating to the selection of all Semi-Finalists are final and the decisions of the Sponsor and Contest Administrator are final and binding in all respects relating to this Contest.
- SEMI-FINALIST NOTIFICATION: Each contestant selected as a potential Semi-Finalist will be notified by telephone and/or email (at Contest Administrator’s absolute discretion). If the Contest Administrator cannot engage in a live conversation with a potential Semi-Finalist within four (4) days after the first notification attempt then the potential Semi-Finalist may be disqualified. Although the Contest Administrator may, in its sole discretion, choose to leave a message or messages on a potential Semi-Finalist’s voicemail service or answering machine, such message(s) are solely to facilitate live contact within the four (4) day period and do not constitute a “live conversation” for purposes of these Official Rules. With respect to telephone notification attempts, such notification will be deemed given when a message is left on the potential Semi-Finalist’s voicemail service or answering machine by the Contest Administrator or when the Contest Administrator has been unsuccessful in reaching the potential Semi-Finalist by telephone after three attempts, whichever occurs first. All notification requirements, as well as other requirements within these Official Rules, will be strictly enforced.
- JUDGING FOR FINALISTS: During a period from September 2017 through October 2017, a panel of qualified judges selected by UCFTI in its sole discretion (the “Industry Judges”) will judge each eligible Semi-Finalist Film and select three (3) eligible Finalists. In the event of a tie, a Finalist will be determined by the Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion. The odds of being declared a Finalist depend on the quality of the eligible Films submitted and the number of eligible Entries submitted. The decisions of the Industry Judges relating to the selection of the Finalists are final and the decisions of the Sponsor and Contest Administrator are final and binding in all respects relating to this Contest.
- FINALIST NOTIFICATION: Before a potential Finalist is confirmed as an official Finalist, he/she will be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and a Publicity/Liability Release/Prize Acceptance (“Affidavit/Release”) in the form provided by the Contest Administrator (except where prohibited). The Affidavit of Eligibility must confirm that the potential Finalist meets all eligibility requirements of the Contest. A signed copy of the Affidavit/Release must be returned within five (5) days of Finalist’s receipt. If a signed copy of the Affidavit/Release is not returned within that time, or if the potential Finalist is found to be ineligible, or if the potential Finalist does not comply with the Official Rules, then such potential Finalist may be disqualified. If prizes, prize documentation or prize notifications are returned as undeliverable, then the potential Finalist may be subject to disqualification. The potential Finalists will be notified by telephone and/or email (at Contest Administrator’s absolute discretion). If the Contest Administrator cannot engage in a live conversation with a potential Finalist within four (4) days after the first notification attempt then the potential Finalist may be disqualified. Although the Contest Administrator may, in its sole discretion, choose to leave a message or messages on a potential Finalist’s voicemail service or answering machine, such message(s) are solely to facilitate live contact within the four (4) day period and do not constitute a “live conversation” for purposes of these Official Rules. With respect to telephone notification attempts, such notification will be deemed given when a message is left on the potential Finalist’s voicemail service or answering machine by the Contest Administrator or when the Contest Administrator has been unsuccessful in reaching the potential Finalist by telephone after three attempts, whichever occurs first. All notification requirements, as well as other requirements within these Official Rules, will be strictly enforced.
- ONE (1) GRAND PRIZE: A check in the amount of Five Thousand U.S. Dollars (US$5,000.00). ARV US$5,000.00.
- ONE(1) SECOND PRIZE: A check in the amount of Three Thousand U.S. Dollars (US$3,000.00). ARV US$3,000.00.
- ONE (1) THIRD PRIZE: A check in the amount of Two Thousand U.S. Dollars (US$2,000.00). ARV US$2,000.00.
- TAXES FOR A PRIZE-WINNING CONTESTANT: The ARV of each respective prize valued at over US$600.00 will be reported to the IRS and the winner will be issued an IRS MISC tax form 1099 for the amount of the prize, as required by U.S. law. All federal, state or other tax liabilities (including income taxes) arising from any prize awarded in this Contest will be the sole responsibility of the winner. Sponsor is not an authority on tax matters and does not offer tax advice to contestants, but does urge contestants to immediately seek expert tax advice in the event the contestant is awarded a prize in this Contest.
- DISQUALIFICATION: In the event it is determined that any potential or actual contestant, Semi-Finalist, Finalist, Second Prize Winner, First Prize Winner or Grand Prize Winner is ineligible or is subject to disqualification for any reason pursuant to the Official Rules of the Contest, then such person may be disqualified at the sole discretion of Sponsor. In such event, a potential alternate Semi-Finalist, Finalist, Second Prize Winner, First Prize Winner or Grand Prize Winner may be selected in accordance with the winner selection and tie-breaking procedures set forth herein.
- PUBLICITY: By participating in the Contest and winning and accepting any prize, each prize winner (“Prize Winner”) agrees to participate in any Publicity Activities (as defined below) that Sponsor may conduct in connection with the Contest wherein Sponsor requests that the Prize Winner participate in such Publicity Activities and sign any releases related thereto; provided, however, that the Prize Winner shall not be required to incur any costs in participating in any such Publicity Activities. Nothing herein shall require Sponsor to include a Prize Winner in such Publicity Activities or to engage in such Publicity Activities. “Publicity Activities” are publicity and/or media events or activities conducted by Sponsor or its designees in connection with the Contest, and may include, but are not limited to, media interviews, personal appearances, press releases, and appearances in advertisements, promotional activities and Publicity Materials (as defined below). Any photographs, printed or electronic materials, video footage, sound recordings or other recordings or depictions of a Prize Winner, or his/her likeness, voice, statements, name, Film, biographical information or address (city and state only), or of his/her participation in the Publicity Activities, are referred to herein collectively as “Publicity Materials”. ) Each Prize Winner agrees that Sponsor shall be the exclusive owner of all such Publicity Materials (other than the Film) and shall have the absolute right to use, reproduce, alter, amend, edit, publish, modify, crop and publicly display all elements of such Publicity Materials for promotional and marketing purposes, and for advertising, publicizing and promoting the Sponsor’s events, products and services, in whole or in part, in any and all media either now or hereafter known (including but not limited to distribution via the internet and on social media websites such as Facebook and YouTube), throughout the universe, in perpetuity, without further compensation, consideration or notification to the Prize Winner. Prize Winners shall have no right to review or approve edits, alterations or modifications to any Publicity Materials.
- USE OF ENTRY MATERIALS: Each contestant retains the ownership of his/her Film, subject to the grant of certain marketing and promotional rights to Sponsor described in these Official Rules. The “Entry Materials” consist of each contestant’s Entry Form and Film.
- LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: The Contest Entities are not responsible for illegible, garbled, corrupted, damaged, lost, late, misdirected, undeliverable or incomplete Contest Entries, whether due to system errors, human errors or failures, or faulty transmissions or other telecommunications, or other types of malfunctions or interferences, and/or for Entries not received on the Website resulting from any hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incomplete or garbled computer or telephone transmissions, typographical or system or human errors and failures, or faulty transmissions, or as a result of any other error or problem of any kind relating to or in connection with this Contest, whether technical, mechanical, typographical, printing, human or otherwise, including, without limitation, errors or problems which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the collection and processing of such entries and/or the judging of the Contest, the announcement of a prize or in any Contest-related materials. Sponsor may prohibit a contestant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said contestant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair competitive practices, or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other contestants or Sponsor’s representatives. If for any reason any portion of this Contest is not capable of running as planned, including, but not limited to, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or any other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, then Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest and select the potential winners from those eligible entries received up to the cancellation/suspension date.
- DISPUTES: Except where prohibited, contestant agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or the Film, including but not limited to any claims related to intellectual property rights, copyrights, trademarks, credits, and/or publicity, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate Federal or state courts located nearest to Los Angeles, CA; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will contestant be permitted to obtain awards for (and contestant hereby waives all rights to claim) indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, and any rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the contestant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of California without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of California.
- RULES/WINNER’S INFORMATION: To receive a winners list, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope within six (6) months of the contest period end, to: UCFTI, Inc., 7083 Hollywood Blvd., 5th Floor, Hollywood, CA 90028. Please specify “Rules” or “Winners List.” You may also view the Official Rules and Winners List at www.ucftiexpo.com.
- SPONSOR: UCFTI, Inc., 7083 Hollywood Blvd., 5th Floor, Hollywood, CA 90028.
- CONTEST ADMINISTRATOR: UCFTI, Inc., 7083 Hollywood Blvd., 5th Floor, Hollywood, CA 90028